Welcome

I have created this blog to share my footballing tales and adventures with you, through short stories and anecdotes, I hope you enjoy it!

Thursday 14 April 2011

Tony Powell


If theres one thing all football fans can relate to its the endless rumours that surround our beautiful game. Whos signing for whom, and what so and so is up to are part and parcel of the deal, and have been for as long as supporters can remember.

But in Norwich towards the end of the 1980s, an unusual story surfaced regarding one of the Citys favourite sons.

Word soon spread that former Norwich City defender and crowd favourite Tony Powell was residing in Americaas a woman! It was unclear whether the ex-Canaries stopper was living as a transsexual or indeed, had gone all the way.

The rumour came as a huge shock to most Norwich supporters – and indeed, to Powell himself. In a newspaper interview he dismissed the story as “ridiculous” adding, “I’ve never worn a frock before in my life, I'm the least likely man to have a sex swap.” He went on to reassure City fans by saying, “I’m all bloke”!

Between 1974 and 1981 Powell had made 275 appearances for the Canaries, scoring five goals.

To this day it is unclear from where the rumour came, although certain suburbs of neighbouring Ipswich have been somewhat tight-lipped on the matter...


No comments:

Post a Comment